Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Limes!

One of the things I like the most about Sydney is that you can still find a place away from it all. I was talking about this the other day iwth friends and we are all so amazed that on the harbour, 15 mins away from the centre of the city, you can find yourself on a seclude beach, surrounded by bushland, with barely anyone else around! Having found a few of these places myself in my area, one of my favourite things to do on the weekend is to take the papers or a good book and go and hang out on my own in the peace and quiet. I love the fact that I don't have to fight for space or worry about children running around flicking sand everywhere.

So, after a long hard afternoon at one of my favourite harbour beaches, I was super relaxed and came home to make a late afternoon snack. I didn't want to go out and battle the local supermarket (pretty much the complete opposite to the "away from it all" theme...), so I had to make do with what I had at home.
Limes. And I mean alot of limes! Both me and my flatmate had bought a bagfull each this week. I love using limes in salad dressings and asian dishes, but I rarely use it when baking. During the week, I had been reading some old posts of one of my favourite blogs ,and noticed a recipe for a really simple lemon cake . Of course, faced with a bowl full of limes and the basics of a cake in front of me, there was no question!
The only citrus cakes I have made before generally required a syrup to make them moist and flavoursome. This cake is great because the texture is really soft and moist and the flavour of the limes just shone through, with no fiddling about whatsover with any syrups. With a glass of soda and ... you guessed... lime! I had a nice refreshing treat on my hands!

Lime Loaf Cake

2 cups plain flour
2 cups sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 eggs
2 limes, zest and juice
½ cup milk

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in lime zest and juice. Fold in flour and baking powder. Stir in milk until well combined. Fill a loaf pan with mixture and cook for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment